DE GREY, LADY
Neg . No: (GP) 5142
Neg. Size: 15"x12"
Sitter: Coombe Court, Kingston Hill, Surrey, residence of (Constance) Gladys, Marchioness of Ripon (d. 1917) when Countess de Grey.
[Coombe Court was built by the father of John Galsworthy in 1867 and he moved there in 1869. In 1875 he sold it to Daniel Watney of Watney's Brewery who in turn sold it to a Wilfred A. Bevan who about 1898 sold it to the Earl de Grey, later Marquis of Ripon. The house was demolished in 1931.... The original entrance in George road is still there and still guarded by the little lodge which used to be the home of the butler, Mr Fish.... Coombe court was immortalised by John Galsworthy in The Forsyte Saga. - Information in letter from Charles Neelson Gattey)
Date: 5 August 1906
Photographer: Lafayette Ltd., 179 New Bond Street, London, W.
No of poses: 4.
images on this site are copyright V&A. For further information
on using or requesting copies of any images
Location: Charles Neelson Gattey.
Acknowledgements: Charles Neelson Gattey.